• Two DC-3 long flight sectors - Ardmore to Nelson and return
• Signature champagne cabin service during DC-3 flights
• Your own in-flight DC-3 cockpit visit (just like the old days)
• Western North Island, Nelson and Marlborough from above
• Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre
• Cloudy Bay Vineyard and wine tasting
• Chocolate and craft beer tasting
• Green Shell Mussel (and wine) cruise
• Nelson Classic Car Museum
• Nelson Lakes and St Arnaud alpine village
• NZ Antique and Classic Boat Museum
• Two 2-night stopovers (Blenheim and Nelson)
• Quality hotels
• Meals every day: Full breakfast (4), Dinner (4), Lunch (2)
• Luxury coach sightseeing and transfers
• Transfers to and from Ardmore Airport (Auckland area only)
• Fully hosted tour (Tour Director/ Host)
4 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 4 Dinners
Two 2-night stopovers
Douglas DC-3 Airliner (restored, certified and sound proofed)
Itinerary Visits and Activities
Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre
Wine tasting at a significant local vineyard
Chocolate and craft beer tasting
Greenshell Mussel and wine cruise
Nelson Classic Car Museum
Nelson Lakes & St Arnaud alpine village
NZ Antique and Classic Boat Museum
and much more...
Click on a day to expand
DC3 Flight – AUCKLAND to NELSON. Coach – NELSON to BLENHEIM
Step aboard your classic DC-3 today and climb out over Waikato farmland. Pass above Taranaki and head out across the Taranaki Bight with views to Kapiti Island then the Marlborough Sounds. After some nostalgic DC-3 air cruising you’ll sight Golden Bay before lining up for the approach to Nelson. Land at Nelson Airport where a coach will be waiting for you to arrive. Drive over the hills to Blenheim this afternoon and visit well-regarded Cloudy Bay vineyard for some relaxing wine tasting. Continue into Blenheim later for your first 2-night stay.
BLENHEIM VISITS and OMAKA AVIATION HERITAGE CENTRE
Drive to the splendid Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre https://www.omaka.org.nz/ this morning to see ‘Knights of the Sky’ (Sir Peter Jackson’s collection of WW1 aircraft) plus the WW2 ‘Dangerous Skies’ aircraft selection. Each collection is superbly presented in theatrical drama and detail. Meander around Blenheim’s environs later to enjoy a chocolate confectionary visit, followed by craft beer tasting. There is plenty to see and enjoy today!
Drive to Havelock today and board the renowned Greenshell Mussel catamaran cruise. Explore Pelorus and Kenepuru Sounds while indulging in freshly steamed mussels paired with a glass of local Sauvignon Blanc wine – the ultimate wine/food match. Learn about local history, visit a mussel farm and take in the relaxing scenery. Return to Havelock Wharf, re-join your coach and drive on via Pelorus Bridge and the Rai Valley to reach Nelson for your second 2-night stay.
Start today with a tour of Nelson, including a visit to the recently remodelled Classic Car Museum https://nelsonclassiccarmuseum.nz/ . Leave the city and drive south west to Nelson Lakes National Park. Delight in the splendid views of glacier formed Lake Rotoiti from St Arnaud alpine village, around 650 metres above sea level. This beautiful lake is set among the honeydew beech forest valleys and compact mountains at the northern end of the Southern Alps. The Nelson lakes and park are an ever popular year round destination for hiking, walks, boating, swimming, kayaking, water skiing and more. We’ll pack a picnic lunch today and there’ll be time to visit the intriguing Antique & Classic Boat Museum here too. Return to Nelson later this afternoon.
Return to Nelson Airport this morning to re-join your DC-3 and her crew. Take off and fly out across Golden Bay and the Taranaki Bight. The North Island coastline will be in sight to the east as you track towards Taranaki then follow the spectacular coastline north, passing Awakino, Kawhia and Raglan. Land at Ardmore and disembark for final farewells. Thanks for joining us on this DC-3 NZ Air Tour adventure!
Breakfast & Lunch included
Terms & Conditions
1. Covid-19: Tour hotel selection: Pacific Trailways selects quality 4-star (or 4-star plus) tour hotels that have not been included in the NZ Government’s returning traveller border quarantine / self-isolation programme. If a hotel selected for this tour is subsequently assigned to the border quarantine / self-isolation programme, the tour will be relocated to another equivalent hotel property that has not been part of the Government’s border quarantine / self-isolation programme. Pacific Trailways reserves the right to move the tour to another hotel property (or properties) in these circumstances.
2. Covid-19: Safety on tour. Pacific Trailways will always put the health and safety of our staff and guests first. Best practice Government authorised Covid-19 hygiene and safety practices will apply on every tour. Social distance measures will apply if/as required, appropriate to each Covid-19 safety level.
3. Tour prices: Tour prices are in New Zealand dollars and include GST. Prices are per person, twin share basis. An additional price applies for guaranteed single person room occupancy.
4. Deposit, Payment and Acceptance of Terms: A deposit of NZD$500 per person is required to confirm the booking. Payment of the deposit confirms the tour client has read and accepted the Tour Booking Terms & Conditions. Full payment can be made at any time but is required no later than 60 days prior to departure (full payment is required for bookings made less than 60 days from tour departure).
5. Deposit and Full Payment Options:
INTERNET BANKING – Pacific Trailways Ltd. BNZ Account number 02-0400-0116109-001.
CREDIT CARD – Visa and Mastercard only.
6. Minimum booking numbers required. This tour will be confirmed to operate once bookings have achieved the minimum numbers required. In the event that minimum booking numbers are not achieved, Pacific Trailways will offer an alternative departure, or a full refund, this being the full extent of our responsibility. Any additional costs you may incur as a result of cancellation by Pacific Trailways will be your responsibility and we expect you to seek remedy via travel insurance cover.
7. Client Cancellations, not related to Covid-19: All cancellation charges apply ‘per person’.
For cancellation 60 days or more prior to tour start date a full refund applies, less $50 administration fee. For cancellation: 59 – 46 days prior to tour start date: cancellation fee is 50% of the tour price.
For cancellation: 45 – 00 days prior to tour start date: cancellation fee is 100% of the tour price.
No refund can be made once the tour is underway and there are no refunds for unused tour components.
8. Client Cancellations due to Covid-19: If client cancellation is a direct result of Covid-19 and a requirement for the client to self-isolate, enter quarantine or seek medical treatment, Pacific Trailways will, at its discretion, review cancellation charges applicable to that client’s booking. Pacific Trailways will consider each case on its merit, taking into account the medical situation, personal circumstances and time remaining before tour departure. To consider a review of cancellation charges, Pacific Trailways will require a formal, authorised Covid-19 test result supported by a medical professional or doctor’s letter or a Health Department letter. If the cancellation is due to contact with a suspected or confirmed Covid-19 case, a formal Health Department contact trace confirmation will be required. A $50 administration fee will apply to the cancellation charge review.
9. Covid-19: Lockdown tour cancellation. If the tour departure is cancelled due to a New Zealand Government Covid-19 lockdown order, Pacific Trailways will offer two options. 1. To transfer your deposit and/or tour payments to a later tour departure, or 2. Receive a full refund of your deposit and tour payment balance (whichever amount/s you have paid).
10. Tour cancellation if DC-3 is unavailable for tour departure: If the featured DC3 aircraft is rendered unable to operate before the tour starts, Pacific Trailways will make every effort to arrange a similar aircraft. If another aircraft cannot be chartered, Pacific Trailways will refund all monies paid. In these cancellation circumstances, a full refund of the tour price will be the full extent of our responsibility to you the client. Any additional costs you may incur as a result of cancellation by Pacific Trailways will be your responsibility and we expect you to seek remedy via travel insurance cover.
11. Aircraft Operation (during the tour). In the event the chartered DC3 aircraft is rendered unserviceable or unable to operate for any reason during the tour, Pacific Trailways will make every effort to use suitable chartered aircraft and/or scheduled air services to complete the affected tour sectors. If suitable chartered and/or scheduled air services are not available, Pacific Trailways reserves the right to substitute ground transport to complete the affected tour sectors. If air or ground transport is substituted for DC3 flights for any reason above, no refund or reimbursement applies and the air or ground transport substitution is the full extent of our responsibility to you.
12. Itinerary amendments. Pacific Trailways reserves the right to amend the itinerary if/as necessary due to weather and/or operational requirements and to substitute accommodation, transport and sightseeing services if required. If weather conditions on a particular day (or days) prevent safe flying, Pacific Trailways accepts the professional decision of the aircraft captain (Pilot in Command) to determine whether or not the aircraft will fly on the day. If a ‘no-fly’ decision is made, ground transport will be substituted on the affected day/s to continue the tour and meet itinerary obligations.
13. Travel Insurance. Pacific Trailways strongly recommends that ‘loss of deposit’ travel insurance is purchased at the time of booking. Cancellation fees will not be waived where travel insurance could have provided cover.
14. Luggage on tour – limits per passenger. (1.) One small soft-sided cabin/day bag able to be stowed under a seat. (2.) One small to medium soft-sided overnight bag weighing no more than 15 kg (33 pounds) that can be stowed in the DC3’s forward hold each day to meet NZCAA safety regulations (the DC3 has no overhead lockers).
15. Seat change daily. To provide a fair and equitable viewing experience for all tour participants a daily seat change policy applies. The process will be explained during the tour and all tour party members are expected to participate.
16. Hotels. Tour accommodation is on the basis of standard ‘twin or double’ rooms that may not include lake, or scenic, or sea views.
17. Solo tour members – guaranteed single room preference. Limited single occupancy rooms may be available at the time of booking. To secure a guaranteed single occupancy room, the Guaranteed Single Room option must be purchased.
18. Solo tour members – twin share room preference. Solo travellers may book ‘twin share’ basis and Pacific Trailways will make every effort to select appropriate same gender roommate pairings. Solo travellers booking on this basis must accept that there is no guarantee of compatibility with your selected roommate and that smoking is not permitted in rooms at any time.
19. Smoking. New Zealand Government laws forbid smoking in public transport, tour coaches, aircraft, airport terminals, accommodation, restaurants, bars, cafes and other recognised public places. Opportunities to smoke will be made available as possible within these boundaries and in circumstances that do not cause discomfort to non-smoking tour members.
20. Personal expenses. Items and/or services not specified as included under ‘Highlights and Inclusions’ are deemed to be personal expenses and are not included in your tour price. Items considered to be personal expenses may include but are not limited to scheduled airfares and taxes, accommodation and meals and transport not included under ‘Highlights and Inclusions’, food not included on the regular tour menu, drinks, personal items, laundry, passport and visa fees, excess baggage, fuel surcharges, optional excursions and gratuities.
21. Personal belongings and lost items. Valuables on tour should be kept to a minimum and packed in your hand luggage along with personal items such as a camera, phone, small personal appliances, essential changes of clothing, toiletries and other personal items. You are responsible for your personal items at all times and must ensure you have adequate travel insurance cover in the event of any loss.
22. Health requirements. Payment of the deposit is a warranty by you that you or any persons covered by your booking are sufficiently fit and healthy to undertake this tour and associated travel arrangements. Pacific Trailways reserves the right, at its discretion, to remove tour participants who prove unable to meet these health requirements or who prove to be incapable of caring for themselves or who become a hazard to themselves or other tour members. No refund applies in such circumstances if the tour has commenced, and Pacific Trailways is not responsible for any associated travel arrangements or repatriation costs.
23. Pre and post tour connecting transfers, transport and air travel. Transport and travel before and after your tour are not included in your tour arrangements and these are your responsibility. Pacific Trailways will make every effort to keep your tour to the stated itinerary schedule but is not responsible for any missed connections before or after your tour.
24. Tour map. The tour map included on the website and in the brochure is not necessarily to scale. The map depicts an indication of the daily itinerary and route however the actual tour route may vary from the depicted tour route if operational or safety requirements make route changes necessary or desirable.
25. Illustrations. All photographs featured in the Pacific Trailways brochure, Facebook site and website illustrate and depict genuine events, places, occurrences and experiences. The use of these illustrations and images does not guarantee that such events, places, occurrences and experiences will necessarily be experienced or seen as depicted in the photograph or illustration.
26. Force Majeure. Force Majeure means an event or circumstance that is beyond the reasonable control of Pacific Trailways Ltd and that could not have been reasonably prevented by Pacific Trailways Ltd. It may include, but is not limited to, pandemic, war, armed conflict, criminal damage, riot, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activity or the possibility or threat of any such activity, natural disaster including but not limited to earthquake, volcanic eruption, cyclone, hurricane, tornado, tsunami, flooding, high or low water levels, fire, landslide, adverse weather conditions, nuclear or other industrial accident causing environmental contamination, or any change of law. In the event that Pacific Trailways Ltd cancels or changes your tour arrangements in any way due to a Force Majeure event, Pacific Trailways Ltd will not be liable to refund any part of your tour deposit or tour purchase price paid by you if Pacific Trailways Ltd subsequently changes or cancels your tour arrangements in connection with a Force Majeure event. As such Force Majeure events cannot be predicted and are beyond the control of Pacific Trailways Ltd it is your responsibility to purchase travel insurance that will adequately cover you against these risks.
27. Additional costs. Pacific Trailways is not responsible for any additional costs which may be incurred by tour participants as a result of events beyond the company’s control. Examples may include (but are not limited to) pandemic, strikes, industrial action, weather or any other man-made or natural occurrence.
28. Passport & Visa Requirements (as applicable, if or when New Zealand’s borders re-open). It is the client/s total responsibility to meet passport and/or visa requirements for travel to and from New Zealand. Pacific Trailways is not responsible for, nor liable for, any loss or damage suffered by the client (or any person covered in the booking) resulting from client/s failure to meet required passport and visa conditions.
29. New Zealand law applies. All Pacific Trailways Booking Terms and Conditions and operations are governed by the laws of New Zealand and all parties submit to the jurisdiction of the New Zealand courts.
CANCELLED. DC-3 Marlborough & Nelson Lakes Tour (5-Days)